Site Meter Yokie from Muskogee: Ahh. I kind of remember what work is. Sort of.

Friday, March 24, 2006

Ahh. I kind of remember what work is. Sort of.

I just got back from my first private English lesson. I almost forgot what it's like to perform a service and then have someone give you money for it. At least one lady I passed on the street noticed the spring in my step. It's a group lesson and the rate I charge is about half off what I advertise (and most other people). But I still make a nice hourly wage. Now, all I have to do is fill in the rest of the days of the week. It's a group of 6-7 "older" people. I'd say 40-60ish is the age range. There is one man and the rest are ladies. The class is two hours long so I was kind of worried about how much material to cover. I was surprised that I had material from my lesson plan left over. At least, I can use it for the next time. I have to go find a cubbyhole for my stash now. Or, give it all to J-Pop and J-Ma for last week's food. Anyway, it felt good and I feel more motivated to get back on the prowl for more students after my upcoming Kyoto trip.

A sakura tree on the way back from my class at a nearby zen temple.
On my way home, I passed the little koi creek (from an earlier post- it's name is Iwato River). The last time I tried to feed them, the koi in the uppermost pool were very skittish. I'd throw crumbs at them and they'd freak out, flitting about underwater. Today, with a spring in my step, I found out why. I rounded the corner to witness three young boys throwing rocks at them. I said (translated from the Japanese) ,"Aha! Now I understand!" One little boy scrammed and the other two circled each other not knowing whether to stick around or not. "Now I see. Somtimes the fish are afraid! It's because you have been hitting them with rocks!" One boy said, "Sayonara!" and they both split. Punks. It's rough being a superhero, eh UJ?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home