Site Meter Yokie from Muskogee: Interview with a Vampire

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Interview with a Vampire

Well, I had my first job interview yesterday. I like to call it "the time the head of the ****** Board of Education talked to me and all I could tell him was my name, age, and address." I seemed like a captured prisoner under interrogation:

"I don't know what train station I used!"
"I don't know why I want to teach elementary kids instead of junior high kids!"
(At this time I remembered some advice from one of my books- "If possible, inject some humor into the occasion.")
I said "Watashi no "junior high" wa chotto kowai deshita!" (My junior high was a little scary!"
He laughed and then assured me "Nihon no gakusei wa genki desu!" (Japanese students are good!")

Actually, it really wasn't that bad. He knew my 日本語 skills weren't so hot before we even sat down so I wasn't too upset. There was a job opening when we set up the interview in America. He told us to meet up with him when we arrived. When we called him, he said he didn't think the position was still open but come and talk anyway. The person that was leaving had decided to stay but was still kind of iffy. He'll know more in about a month and then call us back. That gives me time to become fluent, learn the station names, and find plenty of garlic and silver bullets- Wait. That's for werewolves!

4 Comments:

At 1:30 PM, Blogger PrayerfulMom said...

Wow you have been busy since arriving to your new adventure.

A Teacher! WOW who'd a thunk it when I met you...mmm I think it was even in those Jr. High years lol
It's amazing, inspiring honestly.
I for one can't wait for the results of your teaching and learning endeavors there I'm sure you'll have some wonderful stories.

If your not sure who this is I will help you, this is Ms. Kahuna LOL !
Now if you still don’t know….ask UJ Ha!

 
At 2:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should have fell back not to humor but to the training we did in the front yard... those long years ago.... Next time no mercy

 
At 6:37 AM, Blogger Jory-san said...

if you mean the "ninja" obstacle course which ended with a barefoot sprint down the gravel driveway, that's what i had to do to get my foot in the door.

 
At 1:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you want to teach elementary students because: they are so eager to learn, you will enjoy the challenge of making learning fun for them, and you are a child at heart. Now, as for train you used, you know I barely know what street I live on so no advice there! (for once)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home