Site Meter Yokie from Muskogee: The Last Day of Summer: July 18th, 2006

Friday, September 15, 2006

The Last Day of Summer: July 18th, 2006

I've finally set my mind to doing this entry. I can't do more until this one is finished. For the time being, expect no eloquence. And in trying to express my wish to cut to the point (is that even the correct idiom: get to the point/cut to the chase?) I've avoided cutting to the point. On July 18th, 2006, my best friend passed away. He was actually more than a best friend. I don't know what that word might be, but he was it. We met in second grade (this year we'd be in about 28th grade) and from then on were inexplicably linked. There wasn't one weekend that passed from elementary to college that we weren't at the other's house. In the case of college, it was easier- we were roommates. Anyway, nothing I can say in this blog will express the loss in my mind and heart. I'd just like to put up a few pictures with a few comments, maybe.

Jeremy really liked this picture. I don't know who took it or where they were.

This picture was taken at a birthday party for his daughter during one of her early visits to Houston (She's much older now).

The next few pictures were taken during what was one of the best summers of my life.

Friday night, I would drive to Tulsa and we'd hit the single scene. We'd get up Saturday and go bouldering. Saturday night, "...on the rocks." Sunday morning, we'd be on the rocks. We were in our late twenties and holding on to them as tight as we could.

Before I go, let me tell you about a couple of dreams I had. They both left me feeling better. In Japan, in the late summer (the season that just passed), every neighborhood has a festival. It was/is believed that the spirits of the ancestors come back to visit. At night, a stage is decorated and festive music is played. Attendees dress in summer kimonos and there are special dances performed on the stage and in a circle around it. I dreamed Jeremy was at one of these parties and just dancing away. I woke with a nice feeling.

Just last night (and perhaps the impetus for this entry), I dreamed I was at a reception for Jeremy's funeral. We were all standing around (friends and family) when Jeremy showed up. Nobody was surprised and it was almost like it was a scheduled visit. He made his rounds hugging people and saying goodbye. Lastly he hugged his family and myself. He told us all not to worry and that he was happy and doing ok. I held back my tears while he was there and wished him well. We had a final embrace and a "Take care, see ya later, man." With a final look around the room he just vanished.

Well, that's all. That's all I have to say in this medium. I'll have an actual essay in the days to come. Anybody that would like to read it (when it's available), please leave me a comment and I'll make sure you get a chance.

And please, leave a comment. Especially, if you knew him.

The top of Mt. Fuji- One of Jeremy's final resting places.

Update: A few more pictures have surfaced.

Pirates of Ft. Gibson Lake

with Melissa

Before/After Jeremy's wedding

LEFT: With Jeremy and Phil, before we headed off to an apartment we shared. RIGHT: One year later

13 Comments:

At 5:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jory, I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. Chris

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger Suzy-Q said...

I was at Jeremy's funeral in a room shut off from the main room, so I could not see you when you spoke. I was so glad you did Jory. Your words were a comfort on what was surely one of the saddest days.

One thing I remember that you said was that Jeremy had taken on every role a man could take on: Son (of more than one Mother),grandson, brother, friend, husband, father, uncle, cousin (etc). He gave each role his all and was an honorable man, much like his best friend.

I hope during the coming days you will find comfort in the dreams you described....and that you meet Jeremy there.

Jeremiah was a bullfrog.......

 
At 3:23 AM, Blogger PrayerfulMom said...

We are also sorry for your loss of Jeremy, we know you both ment alot to eachother, also we know his parents, for they go to our church. God Bless You
Laurie & Billy

 
At 10:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jory,

You are the closest thing to having Jeremy around.I can see and remember Jeremy in you. It hurts and makes me happy at the same time to read your blogs and memeories of him.I cant explain it i guess except to say I see him through you.I am sure he is at peace wherever he is.Thank You for introducing us and bringing him into my life.I pray for you because i know how much i hurt, I cant imagine how much deeper it must be for you.

namaste
Samantha

 
At 4:01 AM, Blogger Maxime said...

I am so sorry for your loss. You've been blessed with a friend like him! I bet he's watching over you. Take care..

 
At 4:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

JT, that was great! Jeremy was an amazing guy, and it's hard to imagine he is elsewhere. When I think of Jeremy I think of you both in nasty dirty Black Cat t-shirts grinning your asses off about Jeff and his craziness. Or your silly bunk beds in stillwater- I miss you both dearly and I only was around for 10 of those years, so I cant imagine your pain, but I love you and think about your happiness often- you are the best friend he could have had!!!

 
At 4:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah that was from me -avw

 
At 4:55 AM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I'm here via Aunt Jo's place. You lost a lifelong friend, and I know that has left a big empty place in your heart and life. I hope memories of your dear friend will make you smile and ease your grief.

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger Joshua Blevins Peck said...

great post. my heart goes out to you, his family and friends.

 
At 6:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jory Todd,
Lovie love - that's what I'm tossing you across the ocean with a little extra oomph and volume than normal. You don't know how much I have thought of you and Jeremy since I heard the news. And of course, maybe selfishly, I can only relate it to Sarah and I since we have been friends since we were 8 years old and I don't know what I would do without her around. She is a part of me so I can only imagine the loss. She is like the historian of my life. I have some great memories of you and Jeremy - all of us acting so crazy at MRMC, in high school and after. I can still hear his laugh. I am so sorry. The dream was him saying goodbye. I am not a superstitious person and truly believe that.

Holly

 
At 4:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just went back to your blog space and see what you've been up to and saw this piece on JG... I took the first 2 pics at my house in Texas...first was for a yahoo personals ad(ha) and the second on Jenny's 5th b-day(I think). Jeremy was truly one of my best of friends, I will miss him.


Orlando

 
At 9:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jenny & I loved reading about her daddy,not one day goes by without Jennifer talking about missing him. I know you will always be there when Jennifer needs to hear a story about her dad. I cannot believe it was 14 years ago that I met you and Jeremy. Thank you for being such a true friend to us both.

mg

 
At 3:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing Jory,
Jenny and Melissa came to Tahelquah on the 17th. I knew that I missed him so much, but seeing Jenny, and Melissa and playing Uno with Jenny made it even more real, I always played Uno with him and her, We showed her how to play, and without him there was hard! Then christmas at Nana's that he never missed, came and now it is gone, it hurts alot more than it did before. I remember the first time I met him, you were there! I was being very shy and quite. The last time I went to the drive-in in Tahlequah was with him! we saw Wild Wild West, I cant even watch it anymore. But I wont forget the adult humor, that he tried to explain to me cause I was to little to know about the RCA dog and much more. Then the Wedding, being the flower girl and getting to sit with Melissa while se got ready. Seeing this really takes me back! Thanks!
Cheyenne Glad

 

Post a Comment

<< Home