Site Meter Yokie from Muskogee: Shrine of the Fox

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Shrine of the Fox

Tucked away in the neighborhood.
We were out walking the other day (actually it was dusk) and took a sidestreet. Tucked away, down the street and around the corner, was a little quiet nook. It looked like a little park. Inside the fence was a little Shinto shrine dedicated to the fox. Don't ask me to explain Shinto. It is Japan's original religion (if religion is even the right word). I'm not sure how Shinto people worship or what they are saying/thinking when they clap their hands and pray at a shrine. However, Noriko gets a kick out of telling other Japanese people that I'm, in fact, Shinto. They always say, "Honto(Really)?"

Through the "mon" and down the sidewalk.
Noriko thinks that this shrine was originally on someone's property. As the property was divided into lots and sold, the shrine remained intact. The little area around the shrine was so quiet. It seemed like a good place to sit and read or just get some peace and quiet. While I was taking these photographs, many people walked by and never even glanced inside the gate.

Closeup of older fox statue.

Closeup of newer statues.

View from the inside.

Here is what's inside the little house. A little wooden area in the middle (I think where the kami hangs out) and a ton of little fox figurines.
From my light googling on the subject of foxes and Shinto, I found out that originally, the kami associated with the fox was a man with two foxes at his feet. The foxes were his messengers. Now, mostly the fox is depicted. Like in many other cultures, the foxes and other animals are messengers of the gods. Shrines to the inari or kitsune are supposed to be the most numerous in Japan. This particular one is nothing special except it's close to our house and the first one I've seen.
For those interested in further study:

5 Comments:

At 12:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

have you told noriko the history of curly wolf?anp

 
At 3:37 AM, Blogger Whistle Britches said...

Ah Jory-san you have a lurker who call herself anp.
I saw those statues in Narnia.
They will come back to life when the IceWitch lady dies or whatever.

 
At 5:25 AM, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

I love foxes. Fox was one of my nicknames when I was a baby, because I had such a sly, sideways glance.

 
At 1:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spiderfox has finally come home.

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger Jory-san said...

Saur- eend why do zey call you zat now?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home