Site Meter Yokie from Muskogee: Takatori Yama

Friday, May 26, 2006

Takatori Yama

A couple of weeks ago (if you've been following, I went on three or four hikes last week- that's why the last few entries all start similarly), I went with Takahashi-san's and Murata-san's group from city hall. They're the ones that like to get dirty and splash about in local rivers and along the seashore checking the quality of the water. I just can't imagine the group from my other three hikes getting too dirty.

Our destination was Takatori Yama (Hawk Mountain). It turned out that I only saw pigeons up there. Proud of my Japanese, I told the guy next to me that maybe it needed a new name, Pigeon Mountain. He wasn't impressed.

As usual, we stopped at a few points along the route to check out the water. If there's any fence jumping and bridge diving to do, Takahashi-san is our man!

Takahashi-san, at it again.

It's not quite like the floating huts I've seen on TV in Vietnam or China, but I wonder what it's like to live over this small river. During summer, I bet the bugs are terrible. Also, I can't help but suspect sewer somehow ends up here.

As usual, this hike had its adventurous moments. I think these moments are the most heartracing for me. I have all these grandparents scuttling around on rocks and I'm just waiting for one of them to fall and break a hip. It's very stressful! I bet their kids don't even know what they're up to.

There was a water tank at one of our little summits. It had this teensy lock on the gate and this warning for potential terrorists. I feel safer. That's why I only drink sake!

Here's the view would-be terrorists would have after being deterred.

(Folks, I'm not making light of the terrorist threat. I'm only making light of the light precautions that are in effect.)

I was walking down the trail when I heard Takahashi-san yelling, "Jory-san! Jory-san!" He was pointing around the corner of the big cliff I just rounded. Suddenly seeing the giant figure of a person startled me and the rest of the crowd had a good chuckle.

The lady on the right is the one that is bowing in the picture, above. She also tried to adopt me for the day, on a couple of occasions. She was really nice but I avoided her a little bit. I simply couldn't understand anything she said. And one time, she went on and on.

There was a spacious clearing near the summit of the mountain. Near the middle of it was a big rock. That's were we took our lunch break. That's Takahashi-san on the rock playing Lion King. He has to make sure we are all accounted for.

At the summit, there was a little observation tower. Here's the view down on our lunch rock.

This view from the observation tower shows the big Buddha. Can you find it?



How about now?



On the side of the mountain is a famous temple. It's nestled in a small valley and the access to it seems to be carved between these two rocks. It had a very private feel to it.


We were milling around, admiring the scenery, when the head priest opened his door and invited our entire group to come inside. Apparently, this was our good fortune. More than a few people passed me saying "Our good lucky!" We were then treated to a 30 minute speech on the history of the temple. Needless to say, I didn't understand a word. People are always telling me, "I bet your Japanese is getting better!" Yes and no. Yes, if you'd like me to order some food for you- no problem. I can even get us on the right bus or train. I can even talk a little sword or weather. But, I cannot discuss the history of Buddhist temples. Instead, I played a little game in my head. There was about twenty of us inside the temple. Half of us are sitting in seiza (how Japanese people sit). Even for most Japanese, sitting like this for an extended period of time becomes excruciatingly painful. I took it upon myself, to be the last holdout. I pitted myself against some veterans of the game. One by one, a lady over there would change positions. Next, the man in front of me changed to "Indian style." Finally, it was down to the last three. I couldn't even feel my legs. That's not true. I could feel they were still there because they were hurting. Suddenly, the priest concluded his story and invited us to come "behind the curtains" so to speak and look at all the artifacts up close. That was really cool, except I couldn't stand. Long after everyone else was up and about, I was finally able to shuffle forward. A few of the grandmothers asked if I was OK.

5 Comments:

At 8:49 AM, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Oh I am SOOOOO jealous. I really wish I could've been on that long hike with you guys. I was hoping to get to Japan this summer but my brother (who's there) will be coming back over the summer so it's pointless. *sigh*

 
At 8:50 AM, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

P.S. My brother is SO athletic and outdoorsy, he would LOVE to do this stuff!

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger Jory-san said...

you can still come! i'm not your brother, but i'm somebody's brother!

 
At 5:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am now reviewing photos of this area I took in 1967. Significantly different then. Not so built up, for one thing. The Jimmuji temple was different too, from what I can tell. It seems to have modified. The one I have photos had a thatched roof, for one thing. I am scanning these now to keep them from fading into oblivion, though with over 100 photos of this area alone I will not scan them all.

I also have a significant number of photos of Kamakura and environs from that time. Hase Kannon, too. It all seems different from what I see in photos now. These were taken in the days of benjo ditches running down the middle of the streets. I used to spend a lot of time in Kamakura and the surrounding area to escape the base at Yokosuka.

Anyway, these photos will appear bit by bit on my company web site listed below. There are already some there. The story by Lafcadio Hearn, Earless Hoichi, has some. So do some other stories, if you look around. Also photos from old and new Vietnam.

Jim Chaffee
www.drillpress.com

 
At 5:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops. Too late here, it seems, or just getting old. Making mistakes in any case. The site is www.thedrillpress.com. The link above is wrong.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home