Site Meter Yokie from Muskogee: Kinugasa Castle

Friday, June 09, 2006

Kinugasa Castle

Noriko and I have been trying to spend some "dating" time, as she calls it, together. So, if she has the day off, we might go spend a couple of hours in a karaoke booth or if it's a nice day, we might take a stroll. For a few months, I've been seeing a sign that says "Kinugasa Castle Ruins- .8 km." Next to that is the sign for Kinugasa Park. There's also a Kinugasa train station and a Kinugasa bus stop.

For a complete write up on the area, go to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yokosuka,_Kanagawa.

The short version and the part that applies to Kinugasa is quoted, thusly:
"Heian period- In 1063, Muraoka Tamemichi established Kinugasa Castle in what is now Yokosuka. He took the surname Miura. The castle fell during the Battle of Kinugasa in 1187."

That's about all for the history of the area, that I can find in English. There's a good sized sign at the site that probably tell the rest of the story.

Noriko, on the steps to the temple near the top of Kinugasa Mountain.

All that's left of Kinugasa Castle is a wooded hill. There's a little clearing at the top with a couple of benches (we had a picnic). A little dirt path takes one from the street (Kinugasa bus stop), up the mountain to a temple (undoubtedly it served this castle and nearby samurai- still functioning), and then on up to the top of the hill. Strategically, it's easy to see why somebody might put a castle up there. The trail goes on from there to Kinugasa Park (next time) and then on to Kinugasa Station.

It's hard to imagine that samurai used to run around all over the place. Well, actually, it's kind of easy to imagine since I've seen so many samurai movies, but I'm just used to being in the U.S.A. and taking hikes, thinking "This looks like a place where samurai would run around."

Noriko on the far side of Kinugasa Mountain.




The view from the top. One of the only views I've seen, still untouched by electrical towers and apartment buildings.

On the way back, I spotted a snake! I've emailed a guy about what kind is it, but he has yet to respond. It was stuck inside somebody's garden. I herded it down the fenceline until it found a hole.

Here's a closer look at its markings, for identification purposes.




Within seconds of continuing, I spotted another snake on the path! I couldn't believe it. I love to find snakes! This makes the third snake I've seen since being in Japan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home