Site Meter Yokie from Muskogee: Neither rain, nor snow, nor clothes!?

Sunday, February 26, 2006

Neither rain, nor snow, nor clothes!?

Saturday morning, J-Pop helped me go over my map of the Miura Peninsula and trace my previous hikes with a highlighter. It's kind of surprising how far I have walked. I'm used to maps of the USA where the scale is pretty big. I forget how small Japan really is (roughly the size of California). It renews my interest to hike the entire country!
After breakfast and mapwork, J-Pop and Ma decided to take me sightseeing.
Our first stop was Perry Park. Commodore Perry landed near this spot. It has a small museum and a huge memorial stone. Thanks Commodore for opening Japan up with your black ships!

Next we headed to the location of an Edo era (1603-1867) lighthouse. I was really impressed with this old wooden structure. Then J-Pop ruined the illusion. He showed me that the wood was really concrete made to look like wood.


A view across Tokyo Bay to Chiba


It wasn't until seeing these rocks break the surface of the water that I could really see where many rock gardens get their inspiration.


This is the oldest electric lighthouse in Japan. It was made in 1869. The lady on top was bidding us to come up for the view (200 yen ea.)


View from the lighthouse

These young fellers are on a work field trip for the post office. The guy kind of in the middle (in a suit) spotted me in the lighthouse and announced in English that he was cold. I agreed that it was a little cold. We then shared a broken English/Japanese conversation about me being married, not in the military, him being single. I told him not to worry and to enjoy being single. And finally I found someone to compliment about the Japanese Post Office's mascot (see picture below). I could tell from their reactions they agreed with me. Before we left, I had to pose for two pictures with them.


The Post Office Mascot (go-go boots, vinyl shorty-shorts, and vinyl tank top?)


A small cemetery near the lighthouse trail and ocean.


Fisherman on an outcropping near the lighthouse park

4 Comments:

At 2:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why would you say black ships? If they were white ships, you would have called them just ships. Face it man, you're a shipist.

-Muskavik

 
At 6:18 AM, Blogger Suzy-Q said...

So, I guess most of the postal workers are male? (Or at least the advertising department!)Do they "go postal" too?

 
At 6:07 AM, Blogger Joshua Blevins Peck said...

i haven't been over in a while...way behind w/ all these photos!

first off, the u.s. postal service NEEDS a spokesperson like that. might help bring in the youth, especially the male youth postal interest.

i hate word verification!

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger Jory-san said...

coming soon, pictures of the firestation girl! seriously.

and word verification protects me from spam! mostly...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home