Site Meter Yokie from Muskogee: Robots, Aliens, Pizza, and Turkey

Friday, November 24, 2006

Robots, Aliens, Pizza, and Turkey

"Just give it electricity, and a robot can work for long hours, even doing repetitive work, and you don't have to worry about labor laws," Sudo said (from here).

I just think it's pretty crazy that quote is not from the Tom Selleck/Gene Simmons hit movie Runaway or that lesser known movie about robots by that Fresh Prince guy. The future is now! Robots are among us (if you live in Japan). I haven't had any sightings yet (that I know of) but I'll be on the lookout.

"It Is The Future. He fought the horror of robots programmed to kill."

We headed up to Yokohama today to get a new stamp on my spouse visa. My previous one runs out in January. I've never been to New York but I've heard it's a melting pot. A true melting pot is the waiting room for immigration services. I saw Koreans, Africans, Fillipinos, Chinese... I even saw a fellow American but I don't know if they want to let him stay longer. He was wearing a ballcap, sweatshirt, shorty-shorts, running shoes, and black knee-high socks with pink neon stars all over them. The Africans and Koreans were really giving him the look-over.

You don't make appointments for these types of services in Japan. You just show up, take a number, and wait your turn. The ticket dispenser displays how many people are in front of you (33 today and we waited an hour) and a little digital sign above each window lets you know what number they're on. If you get there early enough, it's not that bad of a system.

To celebrate Thanksgiving, we ate at a pizza buffet. I think it was pizza. There was salad pizza, which tasted like chewy toast with some lettuce and dressing on top. There was also corn pizza (corn OFF the cob). Speaking of corn off the cob- it's pretty popular as a topping for biscuits at bakeries.

There might be some debate as to what American pizza joints serve authentic pizza. There's brick oven, thin crust, thick crust, pizza bread, cheese crust... Most agree, that even bad pizza is good pizza. In Japan, most pizza is bad pizza. The cheese is flavorless and overall, it's just kind of bland. In all fairness, I haven't had anything from Pizza Hut or Pizza-La-La (I can't afford the $30 price for one) but I have had the occasional piece from the random bakery, the supermarket variety, and the place mentinoed above (Shakey's Pizza- We ordered "The Lunch Viking!"). I've heard rumors that the Navy Base sells American pizzas and I've even seen people carrying five or six home on the train.

Getting back to turkey, I've only seen once, since I've been in Japan. It's part of a petting zoo at a nearby nursing home. It's pretty sickly looking and I'm not sure it would make for much of a Thanksgiving dinner, much less a 12" roasted turkey breast sub with double cheese (from America) on a toasted wheat bun.

Happy Late Thanksgiving to all!

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 6:18 AM, Blogger Suzy-Q said...

Runway~I remember that movie. Gene Simmons really freaked me out and those little mobile robot bombs looked like a soupe up radio controlled car I see in my mother's neighborhood.

Maybe your fellow American was a circus worker or a sock model. I cannot believe you didn't employ that Batphone of your to take a sneaky picture of that character for us.

You brother can make some great home-made pizza. When you come home again we will all have some OK? The best pizza in our area is Sam and Ella' Rock Island Red. Mmmmmm

Maybe you should stick to tofurkey in Japan. I heard it was tofu in the shape of a turkey. Ida know 'bout that though......sounds kinda slimy and gross.

Happy Thanksgiving Jory and Nori

 
At 8:06 PM, Blogger dkuroiwa said...

Hey Jory...and a late Happy Thanksgiving to you! My boys and I had pasta...must have been an "Italian" kind of day!! If you are really wanting turkey...honest to God "put it in the oven and cook for 8 hours" kind of turkey...CostCo has them. If you are not near a CostCo, go to www.theflyingpig.com and you can order from there! The guy is based in Fukuoka, but works for all over Japan....the prices for stuff (and their stock grows daily!) is just a bit more expensive than if you went yourself, but shipping is pretty cheap! Go and check it out...you'll find muchos of stuff that you "need", I am sure!!
Have a good one!!
Debbie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home