Site Meter Yokie from Muskogee: Sempai Claus

Saturday, December 23, 2006

Sempai Claus

For those of you that haven't seen Sempai Sean Connery and Kohai Wesley Snipes in Rising Sun, sempai is the word for people in your dojo/group/company, that are your superiors. This relationship between sempai and their kohai is very important in Japanese circles.


Following in this tradtion, my main battoujutsu sempai (and I think the senior student/assistant sensei), Yamahara-san, has given me several things: two books, oranges, apples, persimmons, and now, a new (used) obi and a new (used?) suburi-to.

The obi and the suburi-to. On the bottom is a regular bok-to so you can get a size comparison. Suburi means "swing" and to (tou) means "sword." Bok means "wooden." A suburi-to is used to develop sword arm muscles. This particular style of wooden sword is patterned after a boat oar which was made famous by Miyamoto Musashi and his duel on Ganryu Island.

Closeup of the design on the obi. It's either a rooster or some type of phoenix imagery. The same bird is on the sword bag that Noriko made for me from an old kimono obi.



Labels:

7 Comments:

At 12:15 AM, Blogger Suzy-Q said...

Sempai Claus....let me explain. I really have been a good girl.

 
At 4:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Sempai? That wouldn't be anything like master now would it?"

muskavik

 
At 5:51 AM, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Merry Christmas, my friend! And explain more about your relationship with him. And are you expected to gift him, as well?

 
At 2:20 AM, Blogger Joshua Blevins Peck said...

Wesley Snipes is a tool.

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Carly said...

Well how are you????

 
At 11:40 PM, Blogger Jory-san said...

saur: well, my sempai gives me rides to and from class, since he is my neighbor. he also gives me tips on where to do some antique shopping and from time to time local celebrations. as far as gifting him back, I just keep him in mind if i take a little trip. i try to pick him up whatever snack is made in that particular area of japan. i keep it prety simple. he also gave me some air in my bike tire, once.

 
At 2:27 AM, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Jory-san, then he seems almost more of a good friend than a true mentor(?) Is that pretty standard?

And...where have you been, lately? ;o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home